One of the most confusing tasks for a man is in selecting a diamond ring to propose to his girlfriend. There are innumerable designs out there in the market which causes the confusion. One will be looking for the ring with the perfect design and one that fits into your budget.
Here are a few tips to find the perfect engagement diamond ring for the special lady in your life:
• Get inputs: You don’t have to shop for the ring all on your own. To find about the taste and liking of your lady love, you can get inputs form her friends and family on what type of ring she will like. Sometimes couples go shopping for rings together. While it spoils the surprise element in the proposal, it is a sure way to ensure that your betrothed will be happy with the ring you presented her.
• Do some research: Do peek into the jewelry box of your lady and ascertain what kind of jewelry she likes. Does she have a penchant for platinum jewelry and an allergy for gold jewelry like rose gold ? Will she like it if you add some engraving on the ring? All these are a matter of taste of the recipient of the ring.
•Get to know about diamonds: A diamond engagement ring will occupy centre stage for a long time and be discussed among friends and family on platforms like facebook and instagram. So make sure you have put much thought into the diamond and its four C’s- Color, Cut, Carat and Clarity..
• Cut: The diamond’s cut determines how light is reflected by its facets and the brilliance of the diamond. Most experts regard cut as the crucial aspect of a diamond, one that reflects its sparkle. Diamond cuts are graded into poor, fair, good, very good, premium and ideal. A poorly cut diamond will be dull and lifeless. The most popular cuts is Round brilliant, but other cuts will also do like Princess Cut, Radiant, Cushion cut, Marquise, Heart, Pear, Ascher, Emerald and oval. Every one of these highlights different aspects about the diamond. But you must be careful to choose a cut liked by your loved one like a heart cut for a diehard romantic.
• Color: It is the most obvious quality of a diamond. Among the finest color rankings are F,D and E, all of which represent colorless quality. The lesser the diamond’s color, the brighter its shine. The color measure ranges from D to Z, and the latter stands for light yellow with poor light reflection. But don’t waste too much energy on this aspect as a colorless diamond is rare to find. But fancy diamonds are exempt from this scale. Hues like pink, yellow, blue or red are rare and more expensive.
• Clarity: It is a measure of the flaws in a diamond. The ideal grade is FL standing for totally Flawless. Imperfections are usually not clear to the naked eye but under a microscope, an FL rated diamond will have minimal inclusions (internal impurities) and blemishes (external impurities). Like D diamonds, FL diamonds are also rare. Don’t insist on an FL diamond but you can go in for the next range IF which is internally flawless.
• Carats: This is the physical weight of the diamond. Bigger the stone, the higher is the carat. But bigger is not always better and a poorly cut, large diamond is likely to be unsightly. This is not required unless your lady has her heart set on a particular carat. Also, go in for carats below popular benchmarks like ½ carat, ¾ carat or 1 carat. Just below the major carat measures, these are sold at huge discounts.
Mix and match: Do a mix and match of various features and compromise on any of the qualities like cut, color, clarity or cut to select the perfect diamond for you.
These are some of the tips to buy a perfect engagement or wedding diamond ring.